Student Position: Database Assistant
Institute of Transportation Studies (ITS-Davis)
Open to UC Davis Students
Apply by February 28, 2022 through Handshake at: https://ucdavis.joinhandshake.com/stu/jobs/5931974?ref=employer-show
Job No.: 5931974
Job Title: STDT-4
This position serves the important purpose of helping to broadcast ITS-Davis research publications, and events, making our research and activities known to the public, policymakers, researchers, students, and funders.
Job Purpose: Maintain and update research publications database; post research reports on UC’s open access library of publications (escholarship); update Institute of Transportation Studies events on the central UC Davis calendar (Trumba); and provide additional support as needed, such as social media posting, writing, content creation.
Job Description: Do you have the ability to be careful and exacting in managing and entering information into a database? Are you able to identify ways to streamline processes, such as conducting web searches and transferring the found information into a database or document files? ITS-Davis seeks a talented student assistant to help us with the vital task of keeping current our publications database, events calendar, and help plan social media strategies.
- Conduct online literature searches through Google Scholar (and other applications and search engines) to find publications by ITS-Davis researchers
- Enter publication information on the ITS-Davis database; publish documents that ITS-Davis has rights to on escholarship.org
- Track the above processes on internal spreadsheets.
- Possibly identify ways to make the above processes more efficient at capturing a higher percentage of publications
- Communicate with ITS-Davis researchers and staff regarding posting publications on the database or publishing them on escholarship
Miscellaneous (as needed)
- Maintain postings of upcoming ITS-Davis events on the UC Davis campus calendar and ITS-Davis calendar
- Occasionally take notes at events, write social media posts (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook), and track social media analytics on internal spreadsheets.
- Occasionally assist on other communications projects, including editing and creating promotional and internal materials such charts to quantify publications and media appearances
You will be working with a collaborative team of staff and students, either remotely or in our offices on the UC Davis West Village campus, depending on the current COVID-19 regulations. The work schedule is flexible. You will work under the supervision of the Science Writer and the Senior Director of Communications.
Qualifications (Required) Necessary
- Demonstrated experience performing precise entry of information (e.g., transferring text and numbers from a source document to the appropriate fields in a database).
- Professional attitude and conduct, including communicating promptly and effectively with researchers, managers
- Open to feedback and able to meet deadlines.
- Self-initiative and the ability to troubleshoot and work independently.
- Spreadsheet experience; tracking pending and completed tasks in a program such as Excel or Google sheets
- Experience with or ability to learn other computer software, such as Google Drive, social media sites, Box.
- Experience in streamlining internet searches and data entry processes
- Interest in sustainable transportation and energy, and related policy-making and urban planning